We picked friends up at the Lisbon train station, a well kept building with a beautifully ornate facade.
Then we walked around town, exploring the views and buildings. The cobblestone streets and tile buildings are characteristic architectural elements throughout Portugal.
The ancient Church of Our Lady of Carmo Hill was built between 1389 and 1423 and now houses an archaeological museum. The church was one of the largest and most important in Lisbon until the 1755 earthquake and violent fire that followed. It was given to the Royal Association of the Portuguese Civil Architects and Archaeologists in 1864 who installed a didactic museum exhibiting important pieces of sculpture from the Carmo monestery and church, as well as from many other ancient buildings in ruins of a similar time period.